Cabaret Club (Burnley)
The Coliseum Cinema seated 850 in stalls and circle levels. The Kinematograph Year book for 1927 gave the owners of the cinema as the Coliseum Company Limited.
The last film programme in December 1930 was a silent film and talkies came early in January 1931 with an RCA sound system that received favourable reports in the local paper a few weeks later. Around 1935 the New Empire (Burnley) Ltd., based at the Empire Cinema on St James’ Street acquired the Coliseum Cinema, but The Kinematography Year book for 1936 reported that Leonard Wainwright was the proprietor. This changed to Harold Ward of 6 Brown Street Manchester in The Kinematopgraphy Year book for 1937. The sound system changed from RCA, in The Kinematopgraphy Year book for 1949 andto British Thomson Houston (BTH) in The Kinematopgraphy Year book for 1950. Ownership changed to Coliseum Cinema (Rosegrove) Ltd. inThe Kinematopgraphy Year book for 1954, but the address was sill Brown Street in Manchester, which was the head office of the H. Ward Cinema Circuit. ByThe Kinematopgraphy Year book for 1957, CinemaScope had arrived on a screen measuring 22 feet by 13 feet.
The Coliseum Cinema closed around 1959 and was converted into the Empire Cabaret Club, and it attracted many famous stars, and soon to be star onto its stage.